Tuesday, June 19, 2012

PPPU - 1 month post partum


The top photo is me just before I got pregnant.  I was 120 lbs after being sick from well contamination.  Hubby thinks me too skinny in that picture.  He likes me a little heavier.  I was bouncing between 128-130 lbs when I got pregnant.

The bottom picture is me at 1 month post partum, taken yesterday.  I'm 141 lbs with a 31" waist and 39" hips.  Hubby LOVES this Mae West curvier me.  I do, too!  If you get the right mindset it can be fun to embrace your changing body and have fun with it throughout your childbearing years.  There's something sexy about a slim waistline, but there's something sexy about womanly softness and curves, too.

My short term goal is to get to 140 lbs by the end of this week.  That'll put me at the 10 lb face-off where I have to work harder.  To get below 130 lbs, I really have to push it and that may not fare well for my milk supply, so I'll be happy to stick with 130 lbs, at least until after I'm done breast feeding.

Speaking of breast feeding, I was afraid that losing this weight so soon after giving birth would have a harmful affect on my supply.  So far so good!  It helps that I am eating a healthful, high-fat diet and being careful about carbs and sugars.  Eggs in cultured butter, raw milk, yogurt, sprouted grain breads, fruits, veggies, meats, coconut oil....it's all good!

Anyhow, today, I started regular workouts.  I did the 40 minute The Firm Cardio Party.  I realized two things:  1. I'm not as out of shape as I thought I was...I did the whole party and kept up!  2. I need a really good supportive sports bra to keep these lactating puppies still!  Owie!!  How you big busted girls do it, I don't know.  I'm used to my more diminutive size.

Before I publish this post, I wanted to just make one thing clear:  I'm certainly not advocating rushing the post partum weight loss and fitness thing like the celebrities do.  I was going to wait until 6 weeks post partum to start much of anything, but my recovery after this birth was so fast and I felt so good so soon that I really wanted to start and felt like I needed to start early.  Every pregnancy is different.  My first two, I needed stitches and that slowed me up.  My third, my ab muscles split during the pregnancy and afterwards I had a prolapse AND a hernia.  Even at 6 months post partum I couldn't do anything that required jumping or laying down ab workouts.  So, as always, consult your physician and listen to your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment