Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Why Bother With Quinoa Pasta?


With the Spring and Summer seasons comes the taste for pasta salads.  That puts us health nuts in a bit of a position since pasta itself isn't exactly a health food.  It is also a barrier for those who are gluten-free.  So, I started looking at quinoa pasta as a substitute and was turned off.  Here's why:

1. The expense!  Quinoa pasta is expensive.
2. Quinoa pasta sometimes contains semolina.
3. Quinoa pasta is a processed food.
4. Quinoa pasta has not been soaked in whey or sprouted before use, which is something that should be done with quinoa.

So, as I stood there staring at the quinoa pasta on the shelf of the store, it dawned on me.  Why bother?  Why not just use quinoa?

So, that is what I have been doing.  I've used quinoa for the times I've craved a good pasta dish.  I also made tuna "macaroni" salad using quinoa and it was very good and very satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment