Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Antibiotics during and after.

I just couldn't kick that sinus infection on my own. It got worse and spread to my upper lungs, so I took the plunge and decided to get antibiotics.

It worried me to take them because not only does it mess with my own gut flora, but it can mess with my baby's gut flora. Pregnant women who take antibiotics are more likely to have a colicky or reflux baby. I wanted to do what I could to prevent that, so I ate yogurt nearly every day and took probiotics.

Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. Also, antibiotics can make you crave carbs. Add that craving to a desire to just eat simply, and I was downing a lot of cold cereals. Not exactly healthy!

Hopefully, my wee one is ok, but I certainly wasn't. Irritable Bowel Syndrome hit, but I was able to put a stop to it by cutting out gluten, eating bone broth soups, eating more yogurt, taking more probiotics and taking herbal infusions (nettle, agrimony and licorice as well as chamomile-peppermint).

Nettles are strengthening to the system.
Agrimony is a mucus membrane and gut soother
Licorice soothes the gut, too.
Chamomile and peppermint calm intestinal spasms.

Gluten products have bothered me nearly this entire pregnancy, but now it's gotten to the point where I HAVE to quit gluten. This is hard for me, but I look forward to yet another learning experience. Exploring all those gluten-free recipes out there sounds good, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment